Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS!

So after our very trying and tiring weekend with CB, we got K back from Stan & Cindi on Sunday. I got her up from her nap with the promise of going to the store with me, normally a fave activity. She was pretty whiny though and said she didn't want to go. When I went to leave, she changed her mind and came with me. Oh fateful day.

We had a good time, playing "I love you more" as we wheeled through the aisles. Grocery shopping with her is actually pretty pleasant, for some reason she's very lovey when she's riding in the cart and is always giving me hugs and kisses and telling me she loves me. Maybe that's another reason why I love grocery shopping so much, but I digress. This was a big trip, very full cart, and I was kind of kicking myself the whole time for going on Sunday night when it's so crowded. Miraculously we got a fairly short line and I began to unload the groceries onto the belt. That's when it happens. Kaitlin begins crying, saying "My tummy hurts Mommy." Now I'm not sure if all kids are like this, but in our world this is DefCon 5, Imminent Vomit Threat. I get her out of the cart and she immediately drops onto all 4's crying, basically screaming "Mommy" over and over again. This is the floor of Walmart she's on by the way. Yummy. So I tell the checker lady (as if she can't tell) "She's not feeling well, I'll be right back" and we go to the bathroom. I'm not sure why, because she is SCARED TO DEATH to puke in any sort of container, let alone some nasty Walmart commode. And wouldn't you know it, we walk in there and I'm not kidding you it is a thousand degrees in that bathroom. Which I'm sure in her state feels just lovely. I know this isn't going to work, but I go into the stall anyway and she again collapses onto the floor, hunched over because her belly is hurting so bad. Double yummy.

We head back out to pay for our groceries, the whole time I'm just praying "Please God, let us make it into the parking lot before she blows." We pay and start heading for the door. I'm thinking "I've got this, I've got this" as I'm half-walking, half-running toward the exit. We get to the foyer where they keep the carts and she starts heaving. I put her down and try and shove the plastic bag I grabbed at the last minute under her chin, all the while she's fighting me like some wild banshee trying to get it out of her face. You would think in her state she would allow me that one saving grace, to contain this chuckage, but no. So here goes Goldfish and fruit snacks all over the floor, for all entering and exiting patrons of Walmart to see. This is the part I did not sign up for. No sir, not in my wildest mothering fantasies did I dream up such a rewarding and fulfilling event such as this.

Thankfully, there were 2 women who were saints and helped me out with my situation. One gave me a pack of Kleenex to clean her up with, the other helped me push my cart to the car. That one did sneak in a dig though, with a "Didn't you get more plastic bags than just the one?" No ma'am I wasn't really thinking that far ahead.

That was really the end of all the action. I think she has her Momma's tummy, and all the junk food she had been eating while on mini-vacation at Nannie and Papa's caught up to her. She was fine after we got home and watched a little Cinderella and took a nice warm bath. Nothing like a weekend book-ended by vomiting children. Such a glamorous life I lead.

12 comments:

Sapna said...

Oh my gosh! I just read your last few posts. I had no idea that Claire was sick. I feel so bad for her (and you for having to do all this). I hope she gets better real soon - she is so sweet isn't she? At least it appears that K isn't sick though and it was just an upset stomach. I really feel for you and the week you've had. Hope the week gets better. My blog must not be updating other blog updates very well! I was so out of the loop.

Anonymous said...

You seriosly should write a book. The way you describe motherhood is hysterical. Almost makes me want one...I did say almost! Glad Claire is doing better and I hope K will be feeling better too!

Amanda Bonds said...

SUCKS. Man, all those parts about her collapsing on various parts of the Walmart floor made me want to vomit. Glad to hear it was a one time thing and not some sort of stomach bug. I hope things calm down for y'all for a while - you need a break!

McGilvray Family said...

Okay, I know I shouldn't be laughing,....but Summer, your descriptions are hilariousl I am sorry to hear about your nightmare trip to the grocery store, but it does sound like Kaitlin is feeling fine-that's a good thing!

Manos Flacas said...

I don't know what was worse-- the puking or the toddler on all fours on the Wal-Mart bathroom floor. I feel for you poor girl. I have not been in that exact situation, but I completely understand having a toddler who won't puke in a container. What's up with that? I think my daughter thinks that its the container that makes her puke. My son won't even spit in a container, even if he has the most foul tasting food in his mouth or is choking. He insists on swallowing it! SO frustrating.

Manos Flacas said...

P.S. Looking on the bright side, at least Claire wasn't with you too! ;)

KC said...

Oh man - sorry about this! Your descriptions were so funny though that I had to laugh while simultaneously cringing that she was all over the Walmart floor - especially after you so carefully saving her from Claire's germs by shipping her off to Cindi's! Glad they are both feeling better now.

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh, you're such a great story teller! I'm so sorry you went through that but you had me laughing hard. I hope everyone in the Keith house is happy and healthy now!

Smith Family said...

Oh poor you! It isn't amazing the things we go through as moms. I too was laughing when I read this. These experiences are what bond all mothers together. I am glad you were able to recount the events with the hint of humor that you did. I can't believe that lady made a comment about the bags!

Abbey said...

So very very sorry about this! I can totally feel your pain. Luckily my kid isn't prone to vomit, but fits and many potty trips, for sure. So glad people were there to help you out!

Liz said...

Oh Summer, i can't believe this story! I was vomited on TWICE by my oldest when she was two right in the middle of Walgreens. I was trying to clean her up, clean me up, clean up the puke off the floor and just pay for my baby Tylenol and leave. It was so awful, so I know exactly how you felt! Glad they are both better!

Jamie said...

Seriously - you need to write a book. This blog is better than anything in "sleep is for the weak".

I am glad K is feeling better, and I am sorry I was laughing, I know it had to be a complete nightmare for both of you...