Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Big Girl Bed

This weekend was the big weekend - we moved Kaitlin into her big girl bed. She has been demanding to climb INTO her crib for a couple weeks now and it had gotten to the point where she wanted to do it "all by myself" and was making for a huge headache at nap and bedtime. I always reminded her she was not to ever try to crawl out by herself, but a couple times when I was in there she would attempt it so it was making me nervous. I also want to start potty training soon, so I figured she needed to be able to get out of her bed so thought we'd do this switch first and let it sink in for a bit. She has done really well with it so far, actually she's slept better than she had been for a few weeks prior. Today was the first day she actually ventured out of the bed after I had tucked her and left the room. I didn't see her do it, but she had a stack of about 6 books on her bed that were not there when I had left her. She obviously made it back in and was comfortable enough to fall asleep without a tuck-in though, so that is promising. I've posted some pics here. Please don't hate on the sheets - it was our guest room mattress so I still have those sheets on there. I haven't officially decided on a theme for her big girl room. As Scott will tell you, it is going to take about 10 trips to 5 different stores (and probably 2 purchases that are later returned) before I can commit to a comforter set.

I cannot believe my baby will be 2 next week and that she is in such a big bed! I will tell you that I am LOVING the ability to be able to climb in there with her. She's never been much of a snuggler, but when we are in her bed she is a huge cuddle bug. She loves to curl up next to me and read her stories before nap and bedtime, and I am just eating it up. She asks me every night "Mommy sleep in my big girl bed?" and it's killing me because I'd love to but I don't want to start a bad habit. She also loves to show it off to everyone that comes over to the house. Next up is her big Fun Bus party this weekend! She's also telling everyone about that too. Favorite phrases are:

"My birthday is in AUGUST."
"My birthday coming up."
"Turning 2 (sometimes says dos) in August."
"Get to eat CAKE."

And then sometimes she just sings the birthday song to herself. Needless to say, she is excited.

4 comments:

Sapna said...

Alright K to getting in her Big girl bed! I am feeling your pain on the shopping thing for comforters, actually anything. Oftentimes, I return everything, leaving yet another shopping trip. Charlie loves this.

Wade said...

Very cool for Kaitlin to move to the big girl bed.

Chelsea, too, loves a good return policy. We men have to realize that these are some of life's biggest decisions and that they require alot of time and thought.

KC said...

Ahh - such a big girl in a big bed! I am glad the transition is going so well!

I love the birthday excitement - too cute!

McGilvray Family said...

Glad to hear the transition went well! We just moved Makenzie into her big girl bed too. I bookmarked this website for girls' bedding in case you are interested in looking. I thought they had a good selection.
http://www.sweetpeachesbedding.com/big-girl-bedding-250-pA.html?show=&cat=250