This is a really random post, considering I haven't even posted about Christmas or our trip yet, but I keep meaning to put this out here and I have time tonight, so here goes. Kaitlin is a typical toddler, in that she does not enjoy vegetables. Pretty much anything that isn't covered in tomato sauce or cheese isn't considered fit for our princess. This of course gives her mom some heartache, because I really want her to eat her veggies to grow big and strong (b/c she is puny now). So this led me to purchase Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook "Deceptively Delicious." I've found several recipes in here that are great, but this one is especially good for me since I can make a bunch at once and freeze and serve for lunch over several weeks. The basic premise of the whole book is sneaking veggie purees into different foods, so it's like I'm making Kaitlin's baby food all over again since I have to steam and puree them, but I do it all in one night so it's not that bad. If you've never made purees before, you just steam a bunch of whatever vegetable is called for in the microwave and then slop it in the food processor/magic bullet/blender and blend it down to a paste (adding water if needed to get it to the right consistency). Here's the recipe:
1 cup sauteed or roasted chicken or turkey, cubed (I actually shred it)
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup yellow squash puree
1/2 cup carrot puree
4 oz cream cheese (I use the 1/3 less fat)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 large (burrito-size) whole wheat tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with foil or parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, cheese, squash and carrot purees, cream cheese, garlic powder and salt.
3. Cut the tortillas in half. Spread about 2 TB of the filling and roll, enclosing the filling completely. Place seam-side down on the baking sheet.
4. Bake until the tortillas begin to brown, 4 to 5 min. Let cool slightly before serving. I just throw them in the freezer at this point.
To thaw, either bake in toaster oven for a couple min or just microwave on defrost for about 1 min. You don't want to cook too long or the inside will get runny. Kaitlin LOVES these things, and they are so great when I don't have time to prepare a real lunch for her.
3 comments:
that sounds delicious! I may have to give it a test before kate gets teeth!
These definitely sound yummy - thanks for sharing!
These sound very yummy, and you are them also? We know how picky you are with food!
Can't wait to see X-mas and trip pictures. I will keep checking!
Post a Comment