Thursday, January 22, 2009

Amanda, I blame you...

for your niece's OCD. There have been several things over the past few weeks that have led me to believe Kaitlin is a little obsessive-compulsive, and tonight was the icing on the cake. Ever since she has been mobile, she has made sure to shut all doors around the house. If we leave the room, the light must be off and the door shut or else she goes back and does it for you (or whines until you do it since she can't reach the light switch). That was cute and very helpful in keeping Bud out of rooms, etc. But this past week it seems to have jumped to another level. She is very particular about how baby is put in her stroller when we go for walks, so much so that it has led to more than one meltdown when I can't get her in there right (whatever "right" may be - it changes day to day. Sometimes it's swaddled and with the seatbelt on. Sometimes it's naked and upside down. God help you if you don't know what the order for the day is.) At night, when I've been putting her to bed, she has repeatedly jumped off my lap during story time (normally a sacred, uninterrupted time) to go to the door and push on it and say "shut." She's just making sure. Like 3 or 4 times. Yikes. And then tonight, I put her in her crib, said goodnight and walked out. She immediately started crying but it wasn't a "Momma come sing one more song cry," it was a frantic cry and she was yelling something. So I opened the door and she's standing there, pointing at her nightstand and yelling "DRINK DRINK DRINK!" I had left her water cup on the nightstand. Heaven forbid. I picked up the cup, kissed her one more time on the forehead and walked out, while she cheerfully said "night night" and not a peep was heard again. Apparently there are several house rules that I am obviously not aware of. Lord help me. Help us all.

10 comments:

KC said...

OMG - how cute and scary at the same time!

Annie said...

Hahaha I laughed out loud picturing that! So cute!

Sarah said...

oh my goodness! this is too funny. hopefully she never wants to see the next baby keith naked and upside down in the stroller!

Anonymous said...

Oh-oh...she's most definitely her Pop's graddaughter! Look out - the challenges have just begun!! But don't be too worried, as she gets older the fussing will stop & she'll just "make right the way things NEED to be" on her own!

Julie said...

Oh Lord...you have quite a personality on your hands. How funny she is!!

Jamie said...

Sounds like she is saving you money on electricity and keeping the furniture from cup stains. The girl likes things the way SHE likes things. What do you do?

Manos Flacas said...

My kids are the same way. They probably get it from me. It's quite frustrating when I am in a hurry, and they are running around making sure every toy is in place. On the flip side, if you ever lose something (like those teeny tiny toys that drive me insane!), aske Kaitlin. She probably knows EXACTLY where it is. Mine always do!

Amanda Bonds said...

I LOVE IT. I could not be happier about this turn of events. These are all good signs. She will likely have above average intelligence, a highly organized mind, and an excellent chance of succeeding in life. As for the title of this post - you're welcome.

Amanda Bonds said...

Although, I am sorry about the baby in the stroller situation. That is quite a quandary to have to deal with on a daily basis. Best of luck to you.

Anonymous said...

I don't see anything wrong with it, she wanted a sippy sippy night night drink and I think you being a loving mother should have provided such sippy sippy night night drink!