Wednesday, October 28, 2009

We had a good run...

but Kaitlin's streak of no ear infections came to an end exactly 26 months after she was born. She was up all night Sat night with a fever, and Sunday at the Pumpkin Patch she just wasn't herself. She wouldn't eat anything, which is VERY unusual. We got her into the doctor on Monday where she was diagnosed with an ear infection and some sort of virus attacking her throat too. Poor baby! Other than the 2 puking rallies she's had, this is this first time she's really been sick. Those were just little 24 hour bugs, this was the first time she's run a fever for more than a day and required medicine, and I just felt so bad for her! She was pretty much miserable all afternoon Sunday and all day Monday. We had a freakout when it was time to start her antibiotics on Monday night, but I think she was just so wigged out from feeling so bad and just wanted to go to sleep that she kept refusing to try it. We eventually went with the forcing method (NOT recommended as she puked it all up she was so upset). Momma had a revelation at 3am that morning though when we were in there trying to give her Motrin so she could sleep (she was burning up) and I must say it was quite genius. I suddenly remembered one of her favorite Barney songs is this one that goes "If all the raindrops were lemon drops and gum drops, oh what a rain that would be! Standing outside with my mouth open wide, ah ah ah ah ah ah ahhhh!" (The "ahs" are where you stand with your mouth wide open and toungue sticking out - I've always thought it was a pretty crude song/sight, but very thankful for it now). I told her that was how Barney took his medicine and proceeded to sing the song for her and demonstrate myself. That was all it took - she was excited to try it. And since then she's ASKED to take her medicine, "Want to take my medicine like Barney Momma!"

She's well on the road to recovery now, completely back to herself today and I'm so glad. It was no fun seeing her just wanting to sit on the couch and watch TV, normally she doesn't sit still for more than 5 min. But I will say it was nice to get tons of uniterrupted cuddle time, she was all about me holding her, and I of course didn't mind at all. And we know that she must feel better as she ate an entire Einstein Bagel's pizza today for lunch. These past few days whenever I've asked her what she wanted to eat she's said "Don't want to eat, I'm sick." It was so funny that she already knows how to use it as an excuse. Not the case today though as we sat at Einstein's for AN HOUR as she ate the whole thing. I kept trying to pack it up to take home and she kept saying "NO I"M STILL EATING!!!" and frantically grabbed for the pizza. Alrighty then. Glad to have you back little lady!

8 comments:

Abbey said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the ear infection! Sounds like quite the trooper and glad you are all doing better.

Rachel said...

Oh no! Poor little girl! Glad she is doing better!

KC said...

Oh - I am sorry Kaitlin! Glad to hear she's feeling better, those ears/throat things are the worst!

KC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Manos Flacas said...

It's strange how similar that story is to my girl's. She had her first ear infections (both ears) late this spring, just before turning three. They were also accompanied by a high fever and throat infection. She didn't eat for 4 days! When we finally got her to the pedi, he tried to give her Motrin, and she barfed all over the exam room. I should have warned him that she is a gagger! Hope KRK is feeling better soon.

Sarah said...

That was genius, Momma! Poor K, so glad she is better. Your stories of her crack me up. I've already told you before but I think my K is going to be handful that will keep us in stitches just like your's.

Taryn said...

So sad, sweet girl. And Mom, leave the poor baby alone when she is eating!!! Don't take a hungry girls pizza, that's a big no no!