Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Growing up too fast

For the past week or so Kaitlin has asked "Mommy, can you hold me please?" I'm not sure where she got this formal language from, but I was so tickled by it until I realized that she no longer says "Mommy hold you." Just like that she stopped saying it, something she had said for months that always melted my heart. I don't know why this makes me so, so sad (I am crying as I write this). I think it's because it means that she is growing up and becoming more and more "wordly." My friend Taryn refers to her daughter as her "little piece of heaven" and I love that. Like we are given this small, pure treasure to take care of, and it's up to us to guard and protect it. But no matter how much we try, with each passing day our piece of heaven is shaped and conformed by the world we live in. And though that pure center remains inside their heart, our children are coated with a layer of "earth" or "human" - I don't know what to call it, but it is what we all need to survive in the world we live in today. So when Kaitlin stopped saying "Mommy hold you," I feel like a layer was added and the glimpse of innocence I got whenever she would say that is gone. I know I'm probably being silly and reading way too much into this - I'm sure there are a thousand more times I will look at her and she will still be my baby, but this is the first of many "lasts" of her babyhood and it's hard for me to swallow.

7 comments:

Julie said...

Summer that makes me sad. They do grow up so fast.

Sarah said...

As the mom who went and looked in over her baby sleeping on the eve of her first birthday and came out weeping, I totally get it...and I guess this is proof that it's not going to get any better :(

Amanda Bonds said...

That's really sad. I know exactly what you mean about them being a little piece of heaven and then losing some of it as they grow up, but I guess that's how it's supposed to be. I'm just thankful that Kaitlin was given to good parents so that you can foster her innocence into a more mature type of purity as she gets older. I'm happy that this realization has hit because her language is getting more formal and polite, as opposed to some toddlers out there who aren't growing up in a good environment and are already saying words that their little baby ears should never even hear! I love the girls so much, and it makes me so happy to know that my nieces are growing up in such a wonderful home with such a loving family!

Abbey said...

So sweet and so tough all at once...

Sapna said...

Awww. How sad! I hope you are still comforted in the fact that at least she wants to be held. Just wait in 10 years they won't even let us kiss them goodbye in front of friends. Until then, kisses all the time! Totally agree on little pieces of heaven. Now I know that mom's have it all. It is hard work, but we get most of the goodies at the end of the day :)

Jamie said...

What a beautifully written post. As our kids learn about their world, as parents, our view of the world changes right along with them. Circle of life!

Taryn said...

That was so perfectly worded. It is so true, and so moving. Time goes by too fast. I wonder if our parents feel the same way. Your girls are so beautiful!