Sunday, December 14, 2008

Rites of passage

It was bound to happen. Every kid does this at one time or another, and last week was Kaitlin's time. While I'm making dinner, K sometimes occupies herself in the pantry rearranging my soup cans. She likes to stack them in various orders, by color, shape or size. Sometimes she lines them all up on the floor. So while making dinner last Wednesday, I assumed that's what she was doing in there. However, when I peeked around the door to make sure, this is what I saw:













Well, not exactly that, but something similar. That thing she is tugging on is Bud's dog food container. She already had the container out and had 3 pellets in her mouth. I did the ol' swoop technique and retrieved 2 pellets, which I at first thought was all of it. I was certain she would have found them disgusting, but apparently not, because when I turned back to her after throwing those 2 away, I noticed she was trying to inconspicuously suck on the one I had missed. So I guess dog food isn't that bad after all, or maybe my kid will just eat anything. Either way, the pantry stays closed now during meal preparation and she is provided as many goldfish as she pleases so she doesn't have to resort to Bud's rations.

And my original post was going to be just a "Rite" of passage, until this morning, when Kaitlin fell in the drink. That's right, she did some laps in the pool before church. Pretty scary thing for me. We've played out there pretty much everyday since she could crawl, so I guess I had gotten lax in my watching of her. She's normally very cautious and knows to stay off the brick border that surrounds the pool, but she has started climbing and there is a brick ledge around the spa that she just can't resist. So I was on the other side of the pool, scooping out leaves, when I heard a "splash." I ran over and jumped in the spa myself as she was thrashing around. She actually looked to be trying to swim, but never turned over onto her back like I would've hoped. So she got a new outfit and another bath before church this morning, and I hope we both learned a valuable lesson.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

OH MY! A couple of big events in her life - and ones that you are not soon to forget! I have heard that kids don't mind the taste of dog food - case in point.

Julie said...

Oh wow!! That is so scary!! Good thing this is Texas and it was 75 degrees yesterday :-)

Manos Flacas said...

I have also made an inpromtu, fully clothed "swim" to rescue one of my children. It was pretty scary. I am glad you were nearby and that everyone is okay.

Meredith said...

Wow! Scary and I'm so glad that she is OK.

Sarah said...

Glad to hear she survived, I bet the pool was really scary! I guess I should soak up these moments while I can still turn my back for 30 seconds, huh?

Taryn said...

Yum. My kids didnt eat dog food they ate bugs. Both equally disgusting for parents but apparently not for children.

I'm glad she is okay from her morning spa bath. The question is have your nerves healed?