Saturday, August 14, 2010
Hug your babies
I've become somewhat of an emotional basketcase since having kids. Hearing about kids being injured or abused makes me physically ill, like I've been punched in the stomach and can't breathe. If you've read "The Secret Life of Bees," I often feel like I am on the verge of becoming like May Boatwright, where the weight of the world and all the sadness in it is almost too much to bear. So I don't watch the news. I don't read the paper. I live in my little bubble, and that seems to spare me a lot of heartache. But sometimes my bubble is burst by stories like Claire Martin, a friend of a friend who called out for prayers. And again this week, another call for prayers and another punch in the gut. A friend of a friend, Margot was 2 days older than Claire. She picked up and choked on something that was only removed after an emergency tracheotomy, but it was too late for her little body. They had to say goodbye to their sweet, 12 month old baby. I've sat here looking out at the hot, sunny day, thinking about what agony this family, this mother must be going through. I can't imagine. But I can't stop imagining either. As we go on about our lives, theirs have come to an abrupt and sickening halt. And the fact that it's something that could happen to any of us, on any day, makes it all the more heartbreaking to me. If you page down on the blog, you will see such joy as they celebrated her first birthday less than a month ago. A beautiful video her mom made for her. A charmed life. Why God? Why let this happen? As I sit here, crying for the hundredth time today, I don't know the answer to this and probably never will. But I do know that her story has made me a more patient mom today. I have hugged my girls more today. I have examined their toes, their bellies, their bodies so full of life and kissed them and cherished them. I hate that it takes something like this to make me stop and realize how very fragile and precious this life is, but at the same time I think that might be one of the answers to the Why God question. Not to say that Margot's life should be reduced to making us appreciate our loved ones more, but that it is one of the ripples that it has produced. So hug your babies and be thankful for this day you have with them. As I continue to pray for Margot's family, I will pray that this lesson stays with me and all those who know her story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh my gosh, this breaks my heart to pieces. This is part of my love/hate relationship with the internet. Sometimes (more often than I'd like) I stumble on to stories like this and my heart shatters, I, like you, find myself imagining, mourning, fearing. I'm so very sorry and so tempted to go pick up my own one year old...
My heart breaks when I hear these stories too but I agree with you. One of the only answers I can come up with to why is to remind others to appreciate what they have. Thank you for this reminder. It is much needed as I go through the trying toddler days. I need to remember that my child is just learning and trying to find her way and express herself and I should be patient and thankful for each day I'm given with her. I will say a prayer for this family.
Summer, that is so terrible. I have been follow Claire's blog and prayng for her and her family since you first posted about her. It is so unbelievable all the tragic things that often touch so close to our "circle" of family and friends. I feel the same way you do. It does make you hold your babies a little closer and thank God for all you do have. In our time at OCH I heard the most aamazing / sad stories. It's great to hear you share your heart and I know these families are so thankful for your prayers!! Your girls are so precious!
Summer,
Thank you for sharing this story, as hard as it is to talk about. I cannot imagine anything that would be worse and my heart is breaking after reading what you wrote. But you are so right- we have to remember every day what blessings we do have and to appreciate every moment we get with our babies.
Our prayers are with them.
I thought I was the only one who had these feelings and worried that I would be able to keep my babies alive. I always thought my fears were from watching my parents lose a child. I guess it gives me some weird comfort to know that my other mommy friends have the same fears, and the same heartbreaks.
Post a Comment