Monday, March 23, 2009

Pregnancy Tidbits

I'm copying from my blog-world friend Abbey and going to try and do better about posting things about this pregnancy. It's funny how different it is this go-round, seeing as how the blog was created when I was pregnant with Kaitlin and we were pretty diligent about updating it, and now I think I've made mention of B2 on here about 5 times or less. The perils of being second born, second best as my brother would say.

Describe how you felt the moment you found out you were pregnant: I was of course very excited! I had an inkling that I was pregnant, but put off doing the test b/c I didn't want any false negatives. I took the test on a Wednesday morning, November 12, but kept it to myself until that Friday when I surprised Scott with his birthday trip to Gruene. I know it is equally as much Scott's baby as it is mine, but I feel as the "heavy lifter," it was actually kind of nice having those few days where it was my secret only. I can't describe it other than to say I felt like it was my time to digest the news and connect with the new member of our family.

I surprised Scott that Friday by having him come home early under the guise of watching K while I went to the dentist. In fact, K was already at Nannie and Pawpaw's and I had the car loaded for us to head to Gruene to celebrate his 30th birthday. After I told him what we were doing that weekend, I had him go in and grab a few last minute things for his bag. Knowing that he still had his Blackberry in his pocket, I sent him a calendar notice for "First Sono" appointment in December. He came walking out of the bedroom with a very confused look on his face - priceless! We had the whole weekend to celebrate and talk openly about it since we were alone, so that was nice, but the weekend had an unfortunate similarity to when we found out about K. Both times we were heading to wine country - for K's I found out right before we went to Napa, so we had to turn that into just a San Francisco trip, and for this one I was planning on visiting some Texas wineries but instead just ate alot of good food in Gruene. Someday I will get to go wine tasting!

What was the reaction of your child when you shared the news of your pregnancy? Kaitlin still has no concept of the idea. I've mentioned it to her several times that there is a baby in Mommy's belly, but she's pretty much clueless. She does LOVE all things baby - her dolls, strollers, carseats, etc, and loves to take care of them. As a matter of fact, we just got her a "new one baby" (this is the name she has bestowed upon it) that she can take in the bathtub with her. She loves it, and loves to bath it and feed it. We had Ben over last night (6 mo) and she didn't seem to get jealous when I was holding him and was all about hugging and kissing him, so much so that during dinner we all looked over and poor Ben was being squashed by her as she "hugged" him into the ground. It looked more like a sumo move to me.

Favorite food this month: Sweets are definitely back with a vengeance. With K, I hated all sweets even for a few months after she was born, but this one it was really just the first 14 weeks or so that I avoided them. Now it's bring on the brownies, cake and ice cream! I'm big into burgers again (as I was with K), and crave "stinky food" (as Scott says) - ie. Greek, Thai,etc - things with lots of garlic and spice. There's a Greek buffet by my work that I dream about. Sadly, I'm not kidding.

How have your sleeping habits changed? Are you tired? Now at 23 weeks I am officially a side sleeper. :-( I really savored the first 20 weeks or so when I could still sleep on my stomach, because I remember how much I missed it towards the end with K. I've already had a few bouts with sleeplessness, but not too bad. It's mainly after I get up to pee that I have a hard time going back to sleep, and then I start to think "hurry up, go back to sleep!" which isn't very helpful at all. I'm definitely much more physically tired this time, but that's a result of chasing K around all day. I will say the evenings cannot come soon enough when I can just veg out on the couch.

Does the baby have a nickname yet? Not really. Kaitlin was schmidgey, and this one seems to be called that as well. Trying to institute B2 but we don't really use it that often.

Do you have any pregnancy related goals or things to achieve during this pregnancy? I would like to work out more than I have been. I was pretty lucky losing all my pregnancy weight with K, but I feel like that was in huge part because I kept up a walking/workout routine the whole time I was pregnant. I hadn't been working out at all when I found out about this pregnancy and the first few weeks were a bit rough, but now that we're through that I need to start trying in earnest. I went to my first prenatal yoga class on Saturday and really enjoyed that, so I will keep that up since it helps with my sciatica also.

Other than that just staying healthy. I feel like this pregnancy I have a lot more specific fears than I did with K. When I was pregnant with her I read "What to Expect" and of course that puts all these things in your head of all the things that can go wrong and all the things you shouldn't do, so I just had a general fear that was always in the back of my mind. Now that I've been through it once, I feel like I've thrown some things by the wayside (I am SO eating lunch meat this pregnancy), but now that I have a group of mommies that I am friends with and hearing their stories makes me paranoid about things like prematurity and things that can go wrong during delivery. So I guess a goal should be to remain positive and have faith that everything will happen as it should.

3 comments:

Abbey said...

Great goals and good journaling. I think we'll enjoy looking back at these later as I find I've forgotten some of the first go round already. Thanks for sharing!

Jamie said...

I LOVED this post. Brought me back to a special time. What a unique and exceptional time we get to go through as mothers?!?!? We are truly blessed.

Anonymous said...

I liked reading this. It is silly how I know you are a Mom, but I guess I never hear your frame of reference of one while chatting with you on the phone. When reading your blogs I get to see the other side of you.

You seem like a Great Mommy Lizard, a really great Mommy...K, enough gushy stuff.