Saturday, November 22, 2008

Momma's Girl

I don't think it's any secret that Kaitlin is a Momma's girl. It seems it's been this way for a while. I remember at 8 months blaming it on stranger anxiety, and now at 15 months we're still going strong. I know that 15-18 months is the peak for separation anxiety, so I'm really hoping that she outgrows it in the next couple of months.

For those that don't know, it came to a head in the past few weeks, after being "kicked out" of MDO, and then my repeated early departures from MOPS to go rescue her from the childcare room. I honestly don't know why she has such a hard time when I'm not around. When we're at a group function, like Kindermusik or playgroup, she is off on her own, sitting on other people's lap, chasing around the other kids, and doesn't look back once to see where I am. But if I'm not around, watch out! For MDO, I blame it on the infrequent nature - she only went 1 day a week so she didn't have a chance to really adjust. According to the teacher, after dropping her off in the morning, she would start crying and calling for me and never really stop for the entire 6 hour day. And this was after 8 weeks of school. She didn't really get kicked out, the director just suggested that it might be better if we gave her a break and tried again in January, when she's a bit older and when there aren't breaks for holidays, which would probably put us back at square one if we did make any progress. At MOPS, I've tried going in and playing with her in the room and letting her get comfortable, and that seemed to work a couple weeks ago, but this last week was a disaster. They said she was hysterical the whole time and had to be walked around until she fell asleep. It's just really hard for me to deal with, both because I feel terrible for her being so sad about it, but also because it seems like it's getting worse and not better and I don't know how to fix it. I'm not going to lie, I do LOVE how she is so attached to me, mostly because that means lots of hugs and kisses for me throughout the day. She is such a sweet girl and often seeks me out in the house just to give me a kiss. But I wish she could be as comfortable and loving with others when I have to be away. I'm sure part of this is just guilt on my part for ever leaving her, but Mom has to get stuff done!

I think we are going to try a Montessori school in January, as it's time for her to get a little more interaction and Elizabeth (our nanny) is looking to start taking some classes and won't have time to watch K anymore. I met with the director on Thursday and she seemed very confident that K will get comfortable with and enjoy coming to school. They are very flexible and said that we can start out taking her everyday, for as little as an hour a day, just to get her acclimated, and is willing to do that for up to 3 weeks. I'm hoping by that point she will have matured a little bit as well, and will understand that even though Momma leaves, she will always come back. Anyone with any experience with this, please leave a comment and let me know what worked for you. Or maybe it's just another phase that we have to go through, and I will look back and miss the times that she couldn't live without me.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Obviously, I don't have any experience and can't offer advice, but I have to tell you that I've always admired the job you've done as Mom. You are great with her as evidenced by her attachment and I'm sure this phase will pass. I can imagine it is pretty tough!

Anonymous said...

AuPairCare www.aupaircare.com is a fantastic au pair agency that many families in my area have been very happy with. AuPairCare's online au pair matching system make it really easy to view lots of au pair profiles and find the best one to meet your childcare needs. Plus I have only heard raves about AuPaircare's local service/support.

Summer said...

Thanks Sarah, that means a lot!

Abbey said...

Summer, I do feel your pain as my little guy struggles when I leave him places even briefly. The only thing that seemed to work was really establishing a routine. When I take him to day care at the Y say every day while I work out he does much better than if he's only there once a week. I only leave him an hour or so, and it did take awhile to adjust. I'm sure you will figure something out, but I'm sad you're having to deal with the sad leaving tears too as it is so tough on the mom too. We're still figuring it out too, but I'll let you know if we come up with any good solutions. Meantime - sending you hugs!

Jamie said...

I guess all that is on the horizon is not peaches and cream....

Taryn said...

Go to babysongs.com. Buy the DVD Baby Songs original (volume 1)it's orange).
There is a song on there that talks about my mommy comes back she always comes back to get me.... (don't make me sing it isn't pretty!) Anyway, it works I have recommended it and used it and have had 100% success rate. You watch it together, you sing it together, and then when she has it down and loves it(they love that DVD!) then you practice it around the house (talk about it at dinner and at naptime etc. etc.)and with friends and family. Then voila..... you sing it when you drop her off and she sings it to herself while she is away from you. This has worked before, I hope it helps you.
Good Luck.... I have a mommas girl. They are perfectly perfect!