Sunday, November 21, 2010

Some things I've learned...

...about puking.

1. It will never be at a convenient time. It's always when you're out of town and in a hotel room, or when your husband's out of town and you're alone with 2 kids. Or at Walmart. Never when you're all safely tucked in at home, with plenty of cleaning products and hands on deck.

2. You will be amazed at the condition of the food that comes from your child's stomach. About a year ago (when Scott was at work late during busy season), K threw up what appeared to be an entire bowl of macaroni and cheese. It looked like she had just taken it fresh from the stove and dumped it all over her bed, along with some raisins. Raisins which to this day she has never eaten again. Tonight it was the hot dog I was amazed at. Sure, I had cut it up before giving it to Claire, but other than my cuts, the thing was entirely intact. She hadn't chewed it at all. Several half grapes too (cut originally by me, not at all by Claire's teeth).

3. You will marvel at their inability to puke anywhere other than all over themselves or you. Physically incapable of turning their heads it seems. And the monkey grip - never is it as strong as when they are about to blow.

4. You will relish how sweet and pitiful they are when they are in your arms when it is all over. Sure I would rather have a healthy kid 100% of the time, but when you're sitting there with puke drying in your hair and a couple loads of laundry staring you down, it's nice to just snuggle them close and be thankful for the moment.

Off to put the sheets in the dryer...

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Ick. Sorry :( But agree the holding afterwards is nice. They seem completely innocent. Hope Claire is all better soon.

Rachel said...

EEEWWWWW! Hope your house feels better soon!

Amanda Bonds said...

Poor little CB :(. I blame the shower yesterday. Merry usually pukes after large get-togethers too because everyone feeds her stuff she doesn't usually get to eat. Yes, I just compared your toddler to my dog. Sorry about it.