I can still remember steak night in my house growing up. No offense Mom (or Dad since you cooked them), but I dreaded it. Just a big hunk of meat that tasted like...blech, just...meat. I came up with a method that worked for several years, which involved chewing bite by loathed bite of steak and then spitting it in my napkin. I would then hastily sneak my napkin into the trashcan as quickly as possible upon completion of the meal. Much to my husband's dismay, I still have these same feelings about his favorite hunk of animal flesh to this day. I'll go to a steakhouse, but only provided it has good sides since that's all I really eat anyway. Bottom line, steak is wasted on me.
Cut to Saturday night, when Scott convinced me to give it another whirl and let him grill me a steak. We assumed K would have no part in it, so we made her a hot dog. Nothing new on my side - I ate about 3 bites and then polished off my baked potato and broccoli. However, imagine my surprise when Scott offered Miss Picky Pants a bite of his steak and she COMPLIED! And then continued to eat about 5-6 more pieces of it, even after she had eaten her whole hot dog. Now keep in mind that she refused to even try the broccoli or baked potato. So she will willingly eat what was heretofore unknown meat product at the drop of a hat, but I try and offer her ANY sort of vegetable and it is immediately met with staunch resistance and an immediate "I don't like peppers" (that is what any unidentified vegetable is known as). Unbelievable. Score one for Scott I suppose.
4 comments:
Ha! We agree on food again. On our honeymoon, we decided to splurge and eat at Ruth Chris Steakhouse. I really had no idea what I was getting into, and I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the prices (that included NO sides). I tried to talk Chris into leaving, and the waiter over heard me. He offered to have a veggie plate made for me, and I took him up on it. I think it cost $12 or something. I was not about to spent $30+ on a hunk of beef.
HAHA! Summer you and your funny food issues. Do you still hate beans too? (I think I remember from a previous post that K will eat those too!)
With all your love of food it makes me sad to think you can't enjoy a delicious piece of cow, very sad to know this.
Well, it's protein at least! This does not give me much hope for the future on the veggie front. Sweet potatoes and butternut squash are my only victories.
Post a Comment