Saturday, September 12, 2009

Love Is A Battlefield

I have recently come to believe that Pat Benatar was not singing this song about some lover - no, she was singing about a relationship with a 2 year old. This is truly what I feel like on a daily basis, a warrior going into battle with my daughter. Granted it is mostly a psychological battle, but it can get physical if we're having an exceptionally lovely day. I think Scott has the best analogy - Kaitlin is our little velociraptor. In case you don't remember Jurassic Park, this was the dinosaur that was constantly testing the fences to see if the electricity is still on, looking for a weakness. Kaitlin is constantly testing limits, so much so that I'm wondering if we've done something wrong up to this point? Or perhaps she is just adjusting to all the changes in her life, as well as the growing independence she feels as she gains maturity? Either way, it makes for a long day with my little dinosaur. I don't really want to go into specifics, I just wanted to post this to remind me when Claire goes through it (if she does - still seems to be alot less fiery than her sister so maybe she will skip it - wishful thinking!) and to shamelessly look for advice from those who have been through it before.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I've already told you many of the descriptions you've given of Kaitlin as a baby sound like my Kate. Fiery is a good word. I keep telling myself it's just part of her personality and I should be glad she'll probably never take any nonsense from anyone. Hang in there, I'm quite certain there's nothing you've done wrong! And I'm also quite certain I'll be consulting you for advice in a year ;)

Abbey said...

We are definitely there with you. Sounds like my post from a week or so ago, sadly. I don't have any advice that I am sure of yet as we continue to struggle. I do know my parents keep telling me that vigilance with the "fences" now will pay off big in years to come. It is hard work, but they are worth it.

Jamie said...

Have not gone through it, but I agree that this is a trait that you will learn to cherish as she gets older and faces the world on her own!

"stong willed" is another fitting word maybe?

Annie said...

We are deep in the middle of this as well. It is quickly wearing me out to the point where I am running out of things to try!!! Let me know if you receive any good suggestions!!! :)

Sapna said...

I feel your pain as well. Actually gathering my strength from the bad day we had. She cried through every meal today I think and spent time out in her stander! Honestly, I think you can just blame it on the terrible 2's. You and Scott are doing everything right. Some get over it in a year, some go into the 3s as well. Patience, patience and deep breaths is what I have to do. Good luck!

aj9900 said...

Right there with you. Though funny enough I just read something today that sounded interesting in regards to acting out...I'll email it to you since it is too long to copy/paste here.

Abbey said...

Summer - my hubby sent my this article. There may be some useful bits here. We're thinking of using it on the potty training backsliding issue. Not sure if you're there yet, but thought I'd share: http://www.slate.com/id/2228559/?from=rss