Tuesday, June 16, 2009

How quickly they learn!

So we've been doing time-outs for a quite a while now, probably since she was about 12-13 months old. Some of you may think I started too early, but I felt that if she was doing something that was wrong (ie. hitting me in the face, that's how they started) that she needed some way of knowing that was not acceptable. Well, it seems she has figured out when she is going to receive a time out, and has started to try and "negotiate" her way out of them. Humans really are tricky little devils! Here's an example of how this went down Saturday night:

Daddy: "Kaitlin, it's time to go wash your hands so we can eat some chicken for dinner." (Note we tell her what is on the menu, b/c usually she only wants one of 3 things to eat - beans, noodles or pizza, so I feel if we tell her ahead of time we might be able to get her excited for it. Doesn't usually work.)
Kaitlin: "No!!! No wash hands!!!" (She is busy playing and does not want to stop)
Daddy: (bends over to pick her up) "Alright, if you can't walk like a big girl I will carry you."
Kaitlin: (reaches up and hits Daddy)
Daddy: "Uh-oh, that's a time out. We don't hit."
Kaitlin: (Starts trying to lean towards her highchair) "WANT TO GO EAT CHECKEN!!" (no I didn't misspell that, she has a hick accent that cracks us up.)

I think she thinks if she does what we asked in the first place she can skip the whole time out, since that's not really her scene. This happens almost everytime she gets a time out. Sometimes I don't even have to mention the time out, I just give her a look and she retracts whatever it was she was fighting for in favor of my suggestion. So if I suggest we go inside and no longer play in the pool, she starts hitting the ground and throwing her toys, she looks up at me and I give her "the look" (never even mentioning time out) and she says "Mommy, want to go inside." I'm so glad you agree my dear.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow! I can't wait to be able to use this! Right now all I can do every time that chubby little hand wants to yank my hair is carefully untangle it and curse myself for not wearing it in a ponytail.

Sapna said...

I am also a big fan of "the look". It really is amazing how they react to the look. Most of the time, I will have a weeping toddler, looking around for someone to save her from her mean, mean mommy.

Abbey said...

We have a little manipulator here too so I feel you pain.

Julie said...

First of all, I don't think you started time outs too early. Second of all I love that you guys are actually teaching her the word no and that it means something. Third of all, she is hilarious!! I think she's a little too smart for her own good. She is definitely going to keep you on your toes!

Jennifer Hemingway said...

I am going to need lessons on the "look" from you and Sapna. My mom has always used that on me and my sister and she never had to go beyond that. It was actually the ability to raise one single eyebrow (frightening to see it in person) and unfortunately I am not blessed with that gene.

Jamie said...

I am not sure if I have "the look" yet, but a sure it will develop as needed.

Kaitlin is so ahead of the game; she is seriously going to keep you laughing!

McGilvray Family said...

Toddlers are so smart! I am continuously amazed at what comes out of their mouths. Perhaps I need to develop a "look" and save myself the pain of time out. I have to say though, we have come a long way with time out. Makenzie is so quiet during her three minutes that sometimes I forget I have placed her there.