Last week, Summer and I went to Mexico with the Pikes, Browns and Egmons for the week. Summer and I went to Mexico for our honeymoon and a follow-up trip and really felt it would be fun for a group of us to go! We had been trying to get this trip off of the ground for a few years now and finally everyone's schedules lined up. The only downside to the trip was the fact that it would be our first extended time away from Kaitlin. She's spent the night at Nanny and Papa's a few times before, but never for multiple nights! Summer and I were nervous that she might not adjust well to spending 5 nights away from the friendly confines of our home, but she was a trooper!
The trip started with a lovely 3am wakeup call in order to be ready in time for Britt and KC to pick us up to go to the airport. I've gone to bed at 3am before back in my college days, but never have I WOKEN UP at that hour. Brutal!! For those who were in attendance, I fully attribute Wednesday's goings-on to our early wake-up...and not the booze (Britt, Wade, Jimbo...I'm sure you guys feel the same way). Wednesday was supposed to be a recoup day due to the early wake-up...at least, that's what it was supposed to be. Instead, it could be said that the guys over indulged in sun and adult beverages around the pool and the beach. You be the judge....
In hindsight, not a brilliant idea considering we had a chartered fishing trip which left port at 9am the next morning. Luckily, everyone was up on time in the morning. The cab ride over was in a tiny car, sans air-conditioning, but otherwise started off fine. However, as we arrived to the harbor where our boat was to pick us up, it was clear our cabby had no clue where the exact address was. He stopped each passerby and inquired as to where the "fool depoh", otherwise known as the "fuel depot" was, but alas no one knew. Finally, we stumbled onto it and were only 20 minutes late. The seas were angry that day my friends, which when combined with mild hangovers resulted in a few queasy stomachs and some additional chumming of the waters by he who shall remain nameless. One other side note, if you are in Mexico on an outing which has been declared "all-inclusive", beware if the only beer that is provided to you is "Kloster Light". I don't purport to be fluent in Spanish, but I'm pretty damn sure "Kloster" doesn't show up anywhere in their vocabulary. The highlight of the trip clearly was the 200 lb (did I say 200, it was more like 500!) marlin that was reeled in by Wade, Britt and I. It took all three of us a little over an hour to get it in the boat! Jimbo was not able to participate in the reeling in, due to the aforementioned queasiness, but his moral support and words of encouragement were instrumental in our landing the fish. Pictures of said fish will be forthcoming (Wade/Britt -- EMAIL ME SOME PICS!).
On Friday, we spent the day at the beach/pool and went into downtown Cancun for dinner to a restaurant (Los Rancheros) which was recommended to us by our hotel. The food and margaritas were much better than what we had been eating at our hotel! Afterwards, we shopped for a few hours and then caught our van back to the hotel. Here is a shot of us eating dinner on the balcony of the restaurant, over-looking downtown Cancun and the beach.
The rest of the trip was spent in similar fashion -- relaxing on the beach/pool with a cold drink, a good book and, of course, the occasional game of 42! Good times were had by all and Kaitlin did great for her Nanny and Papa (thanks again for taking such good care of her!). We'll be posting our pics of Mexico on Shutterfly, so check the link to the right.
No comments:
Post a Comment