Sunday, October 12, 2008

Anniversary

This week has been a sad one in the Keith household. It's the one year anniversary of Chunk leaving us. You would think after a year we wouldn't think much about him, but I find the opposite being true. The more interactive Kaitlin gets, the more I miss her yellow brother and the fun they would have had. He was just such a great, loving dog and I honestly still think about him every day. But the main reason I'm posting is to tell about Kaitlin's love for dogs and the cute thing she does with the book I'm reading now. It's called "Dog Years" by Mark Doty (link) and it is a REALLY good book. Very sad but very good. The link provided above is for a new version, the one I have has a closeup of a Golden Retriever on the cover. I keep a stack of books by my bed and last week she dug through them and found this one (I hadn't started reading it yet) and carried it to me and started kissing the cover. She was so excited about it and did her "booo woo woo woo" noise she does to indicate a dog, and kept kissing and hugging the book. So I took that as a sign that I should start reading it, and I'm glad I did because like I said it's very good. But now she picks it up every morning and carries it around for a while, kissing and hugging it. I like to believe that she remembers her yellow friend and is giving kisses to Chunky as she remembers him.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

That is so sweet! She looks so tiny in that picture!

Julie said...

If you have any interest in getting another golden...my parents are breeding Chunk's niece as we speak. No pressure at all, I just wanted to let you know. Assuming all goes as planned the pups would be born around Dec. 15 and they would be ready to go home with new parents at the end of January.
I almost cried thinking about how goofy and sweet Chunk was.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful picture of Chunky! It captures his personality to a tee-just a big old loveable boy-that's all he wanted to be..you couldn't have asked for a better friend! He was one of those dogs who always looked like he was smiling when you looked at him-such a sweet boy he was & will always be in our hearts! Bud's done a super job looking after you, Kaitlin,..such a loveable boy he is, too!

Cindi said...

This of course made me cry very hard he was so special to all of us, he took care of me so much when he lived with us and there was no sweeter friend to have. He always only wanted to please. Kaitlin would have loved him so much, I know we will all talk about Chunky enough that she will know him. For now he is in heaven and I know my Mom and Dad are so happy to have him there.