Monday, May 19, 2008

Galveston Trip

We took off last Wednesday for a nice long weekend in Galveston with Nana and Pop. We drove to Houston on Wednesday morning and met up with Mom and Dad, and then headed on to Galveston. The beach house we stayed in was beautiful, it was so nice of my mom's friend Trish to let us use it. Some highlights from the trip:

Kaitlin LOVES the beach, just like her momma! I was a little worried because she is very apprehensive of grass, leaves, flowers, pretty much everything outside, so I thought she wouldn't be a big fan of sand and surf, but boy was I wrong! On Thursday we took her out and sat her down at the top of the shore, where the water was barely washing up. She sat there for a while and inspected the sand, and then took off full speed for the water! Here are some action shots:

Feeling the sand


"Watch out sea inhabitants, here I come!"


You can barely see her she's moving so fast


"I LOVE IT!!!"


She was like a little turtle heading out to sea. I think she would have kept going if we would have let her. She got pretty upset with us whenever we would pick her up when she got too deep. She loved splashing around in the sand and squealing at the water coming up to her. Here's a video that shows a bit of what I'm talking about (pardon the video operator - Scott says I'm not allowed to do it anymore based on how terrible this video is):



We had a nice dinner at Willie G's on Thursday night. Kaitlin was a bit tired and cranky on the way out there, and since it's about a 30 minute drive from the house I was worried we would have to turn around and come back, but she was happy once we got into the restaurant. As usual, Nana's bracelets came in handy for entertaining her! Scott took her out and showed her the boats and cranes on the pier while I had dessert, which meant I got to eat more than I usually do without him there hogging all the good parts!

Friday we went shopping on the Strand. Kaitlin got a new onesie and a baby doll from Nana and Pop. She loves the baby doll. I think we might have a troublemaker on our hands when she's older - she is going to be the one in the class who is always talking while the teacher is trying to talk. As soon as she saw her baby, she just got a huge smile on her face and started talking to her. And when we were in one of the shops she saw a little boy who was 11 months old and she got SO excited and started kicking her legs and screaming at him. I think they truly held a conversation there for a while, it was so cute.

Saturday our friends Jim & Sarah, Wade & Chelsea and James & Ryan came out to see us and hang out at the beach. We played some dominoes, drank some beers and got caught up. Then it was time to clean up and hit the road back to Houston. It probably would have been wise in hind sight to just head on straight to Dallas since Kaitlin ended up staying up until 11:30 that night and got up at 6am the next morning. This is what we were dealing with:




But at least she got to spend some extra time with the grand P's!

Today we are still recovering from the trip. Elizabeth said she was a little cranky today and wasn't in the mood to nap, so hopefully she will get back on her schedule soon. It is all worth it though because we had such a great time with Nana and Pop and all our friends!

No comments: