Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The difference between moms and dads

Kaitlin has been having a run of what we call "Hiroshima" poops - the name should be pretty self explanatory. Since Scott was off with us for the past 3 weeks, he was privy to quite a few of these. What I didn't realize before last week though, was just how differently we would handle these situations. I should warn you, this story is not for the squeamish or for those under 18.

Cut to early morning last Thursday. Kaitlin had exploded, so I called for my assistant to come play interference with her so I could get down to the business of what looked to be a messy project. Now you need to realize, sometimes this scenario ends with poop on several surfaces due to the sheer volume involved. This was one of those times. After she was all cleaned up, there remained the business of cleaning and disinfecting the area, what I like to call the HAZMAT portion of the show. When I'm home alone with Kaitlin, I simply put her in her crib to watch her mobile while I remove the changing pad cover and take that and whichever articles of clothing were exploded upon into the bathroom for a good rinsing and spot treatment. Seems reasonable, right? Well, you can imagine my surprise when I go to leave Scott to this task and he asks me...

"Should I just ball all this up and put it in the bottom of the laundry basket?"

WHAT?!?! Did I hear you correctly? Did you just ask if you should take feces-laden clothes and let them stew until I get around to doing laundry, which could be DAYS from now? Were you hoping they would magically un-poop themselves and be sparkling clean when it came time to put them in with all her other clothes? Did you not consider that you would essentially be washing all her other clothes in poop when I did in fact get around to doing the laundry? Who thinks like that? Seriously! As all these questions were rattling through my head, I looked at Scott's innocent face and realized he really didn't see anything wrong with this course of action. And so, rather than speak them aloud and ruin his perception of our magical poop-removing laundry basket, I simply handed Kaitlin over to him and took care of it myself. And made a mental note to always check the bottom of the basket if I think her room smells funny.

4 comments:

Scott said...

LET THE RECORD SHOW.......that I would clearly have balled up the onesie such that all tainted portions would have been folded in on themselves, with only untained portions touching the other dirty clothes. The hot water of the washer would have taken care of the rest of it.

Anonymous said...

The hot water sure would've taken care of it alright...turning that onesie into a brand new leopard-spotted onesie!

Amanda Bonds said...

That's it, I'm calling my contact at the CDC.

Unknown said...

Being in Abu Dhabi makes me feel left out but now I now I am in a better place. This story had me laughing out loud and the Flutter Fly pictures capped it off!

But, I agree with Scott, his plan of action seems appropriate. You girls are girly men!