Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Sad News on Chunk

Last Wednesday morning, Summer noticed Chunk's lymph node in his neck was very swollen. I took him up to the vet at about 4pm with the hopes that it was just an infection and nothing worse. I was wrong. The vet confirmed that he has cancer (lymphoma), which is very common in middle aged large breed dogs. While the cancer is treatable, it is unfortunately not curable. We have him on a 3-week run of steroids to help reduce the swelling of the node and give us some more time with him. The most aggressive form of treatment is full-blown chemo, which runs abut $5k and will only give him another year or so. As such, we're going to stick with the steroids he's on now. Summer and I are devastated, but are slowly coming to grips with what must be done. Thankfully, this form of cancer does not cause him much pain. The vet said that as it progresses, he will get sicker and stop eating, but that's about it. As such, our plan is to watch him over the next few days and weeks and take advantage of the time we have. However, at some point in the coming days/weeks we're going to have to send him home because we do not want him to suffer.

We ask that you all pray for Chunky that he not suffer and for strength for Summer and I.

3 comments:

Jim said...

I remember the first time I saw Chunky. Walked into Eastmark 1804 and James was wrasling with him on Scott's pet.

Prayers are definately being sent up for Chunk!

Julie said...

Chunk was my favorite pup of that litter from the day he was born. Such a big, happy pup.
You guys are doing the right thing but we will all miss his big dopey smile.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Chunk. He's such a sweetheart! He'll be happy watching over Kaitlin from doggy heaven, I'm sure. Enjoy your time with that big 'un.