Friday, November 16, 2007

Too smart for her own good

Why, dear Lord, have you blessed Scott and I with both a dog and now a child that is too smart for his or her own good? We used to say that Chunkie got himself into trouble because he was too smart. For instance, he learned how to open doors so he could let himself into rooms looking for us when it stormed, and when he couldn't find us he would just start chewing on whatever he came across - door frames, garage door wires, ficus trees. You know, the usual suspects. So he was smart enough to look for us because he was scared, but not smart enough to learn that he was going to get in trouble for that when he got home. Similarly, Kaitlin has taken on some of those same attributes with her "Battle of the Bottle." I thought that after a week in daycare she would learn that in order to eat, she would have to start using the bottle. "Not so fast Momma!" she says. Instead, she's taken to stocking up in the morning and at night and continuing her standoff at daycare. Poor Miss Marvetta tries four, five, six times a day to feed her and she will have none of it! She won't even try to suck on it. Miss Marvetta has been resourceful though and squirts it in her mouth and lets her eat slowly like that, but she'll only take about 2 ounces and then she lets Marvetta know she's done by spitting it out. This plan of attack was working well for Kaitlin up until this morning. This morning was when, after gorging herself upon wakeup, she promptly vomited up all that she had worked so hard to eat in the early morning hours. I'm talking about 4 ounces here people that came spewing out of my dear, sweet child while I burped her. And then when I thouht she was done I put her on the changing table to clean her up, and here comes what must have been at least another 4 ounces! She had vomit EVERYWHERE! But again, no crying, just a look of shock on her face like "Man, how did I get so wet?!?" So she got an early morning bath, a new outfit and was ready to fight another day full of evil bottles that awaited her in Infant Classroom #1!!

No comments: